Monday, December 5, 2011

Life Lessons, and a New Leaf

So I'm not exactly where I wanted to be when writing my goals Friday, but I am close. I have studied every section of math, finished and submitted my marketing final and set up a time tomorrow to meet with my math teacher before the final.

I feel good about where I am, but wish I felt great about it. This weekend however has taught me a lot about myself, and my habits. I think I may have figured out a way to boost my productivity immensely and that makes me feel great!

The biggest thing that has helped me this weekend has been planning! I never realized how having a plan could completely change the way I think about studying. Having certain check points and goals allowed me to stay on top of things, and better judge how to manage my time.

Also going into it with a do or die attitude helped a ton! I have found that by breaking through the apathy I have towards homework/school work I am far more successful. It is easy to sit back and think "yeah homework I should do that, I'll do a bit tonight stop whenever, and say I'll do the rest tomorrow, whatever." This, I have come to realize is not an acceptable way to think about homework or work in general. I need to fight this urge, and that is just what I did this weekend! I told myself instead "Get this done tonight so tomorrow you wont be behind, the distractions can wait, if you don't do it no it wont get done." this is a simple idea that I have never really followed before, and can't for the life of me figure out why! I feel better about myself, my school work, my life and just about everything. I can't figure out why I haven't been doing this all along!

Another invaluable technique I used to get things done was small rewards. I told myself "if you finish this problem set you can watch one youtube video." this appeased my desire to watch television without derailing me for an hour our more. Youtube videos are great in that they last a few minutes then your back to work feeling refreshed and not like you're missing anything.

And lastly, I can't talk about what made this the most successful finals study weekend ever without talking about this blog. Writing my goals and outlining my plan has allowed me to feel as if I'm accountable to someone. I would hate to post on here saying I met none of my goals and watched a Survivor marathon instead. That would be unacceptable to myself and the point of this blog! so therefore I worked hard all weekend and will continue to work hard in the future, using this blog as a catalyst for success!

So to all those reading this wish me luck tomorrow! hope my hard work this weekend wasn't for nothing

-Bethany

2 comments:

  1. Yay for being productive! I'm glad your first semester is going so great, you will have to teach me some of your great work ethic when I start classes again in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany, I'm pleased to see the amount of personal growth I see in you. Planning ahead, being true to your word, organizing your schedule are attributes of mature adult thinking. Your ability to analyze yourself, recognize your flaws and make steps to improve yourself will bring fruit in your work and personal life. Love you muchly and can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete

Be cool. We're experimenting, learning, growing. We don't need haters. Constructive ideas or questions are always welcome!